University of Wollongong

About the University of Wollongong

People from all over the world are drawn to the University of Wollongong (UOW) for many reasons: to pursue accredited qualifications, gain employment experience and access world-class research. The quality of education provided by UOW is what has earned us a place among the world’s best modern universities.*

Our courses and research capacity are geared towards excellence at a global level. We are focused on creating a lasting impact that contributes to the needs of communities and empowering people to achieve their aspirations.

Our ambition for our graduates is that they will be ethical, agile thinkers, who are competitive in a global economy, and that their experiences will shape their sense of self as well as their future careers. 

*16th best modern university in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings

UOW’s student cohort.

Acceptance and enrolment

Undergraduate applicants


For information on how to accept your offer and offer round dates, visit the UAC website


Credit transfer or academic exemptions may be granted on the basis of completion of previous tertiary studies. Applications should be made before the start of session and must be accompanied by full documentation of previous studies (including transcripts and subject descriptions).

To find out more, visit the UOW website.


Most courses can be deferred for a maximum of one year although it may be possible to extend for an additional year under special circumstances. Do not enrol if you intend to defer. 

For further information, visit the UOW website.

International Year 12 applicants


To accept your offer of admission, you will need to complete the Acceptance Agreement attached to your offer letter and return it along with the total fee payable to commence the course as quoted in your offer letter.

The fee payable includes tuition for your first session of study and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Payment must be made via Flywire. Flywire allows you to pay from almost any country and any bank and offers excellent foreign exchange rates. Flywire allows you to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and save money, compared to traditional banks. You will be able to track the progress of your payment throughout the transfer process with a student dashboard and you will also be notified by email when your payment is received by UOW. To find out more about making your payment, visit the Flywire website.

You must ensure that payment is made as early as possible to allow sufficient time for visa processing. Depending on the country you come from, the visa process can take anywhere from several days to more than three months, so you need to allow sufficient time for this process. If you are using a university agent, the agent can assist you with acceptance and payment procedures.

When you have paid all fees quoted in your offer letter, an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) will be sent to you or your UOW representative via email. It is important that you provide a current email address with your application so that your eCoE can be sent to you quickly. You will need the eCoE to apply for your student visa.

For details on how to accept your offer of admission, visit the UOW website


Under no circumstances will enrolment be permitted after the second week of session. Students who arrive after Orientation Week will not be guaranteed places in the subjects of their choice — where subjects are compulsory, this could result in your course of study taking up to one year longer to complete. 


Orientation sessions are your official introduction to the University and give you the opportunity to make new friends and to settle into Wollongong before lectures start. Information sessions and group discussions on a large range of topics will be held during the week. These include:

  • services and facilities available on campus
  • study skills and essay writing
  • general information about living in Australia, local customs and attitudes
  • how to stay safe and follow the law in Australia.

Faculty orientation seminars are also held and you will have the opportunity to consult with academic advisers from your course about selecting subjects for your program of study.

For information about orientation, visit the UOW website.


Do not enrol if you intend to defer. For further information, visit the UOW website

Postgraduate applicants


For information on acceptance and enrolment, visit the UOW website.


You may be eligible to apply for advanced standing in your course based on:

  • previous attainment of another award course at the University or another institution, known as credit, and/or 
  • other prior learning, known as recognition for prior learning (RPL).

To apply for advanced standing you first need to be successfully enrolled. Following enrolment you should complete the Credit for Prior Learning application form available in the University’s student portal.

Applications for advanced standing should be submitted as soon as possible after enrolment to allow time for processing before semester starts.


Do not enrol if you intend to defer. For further information, visit the UOW website

Campus information


Since establishing its campus in Wollongong, the University of Wollongong has expanded its teaching locations to both onshore and offshore campuses:


  • Batemans Bay
  • Bega
  • Innovation Campus (North Wollongong)
  • Shoalhaven 
  • South Western Sydney
  • Southern Highlands
  • Southern Sydney
  • Sydney Business School, University of Wollongong


  • University of Wollongong in Dubai
  • UOW College Hong Kong

To find out more, visit the UOW website.

Student and campus services

UOW has a range of student support services. These include counselling, chaplaincy, academic assistance, learning support, and employment and career advice. Campus facilities include a medical centre, computing centre, sporting and recreation facilities, and a childcare centre.

The university supports a variety of student organisations, clubs and societies for students to become involved in campus life.

To find out more, visit the UOW website.


UOW has dedicated support services for students with disabilities and special needs. Disability Services at UOW provides reasonable adjustment advice and support for current and prospective students with a disability or health condition. Our aim is to ensure that students with a disability realise their full academic potential.

If you have a disability, register with us as soon as possible in order to receive additional support and advice. If you have complex requirements it is even more important to contact us early so that we may arrange your support in a timely manner.

Disability Services is committed to creating a safe and productive environment for registered students.


A range of health and medical services are provided on campus, including information on doctors in Wollongong who speak other languages.

To find out more, visit the Campus Clinic website.


UOW offers guaranteed accommodation to students in their first year of study, provided they meet the conditions. Many students say one of the best parts of their University experience is living in a residence. Rarely will you have the chance to live in a community with people from so many walks of life and countries. UOW Living provides a range of accommodation options in convenient locations. Students benefit from an environment that is committed to providing high academic achievement, involvement, development and fun. The community culture in each residence provides a vibrant atmosphere with many social, cultural, sporting and other activities on offer.

If you are thinking of living at UOW, it is important to apply online early as demand for accommodation is high. Make sure you read the conditions for guaranteed accommodation in 2020. For further information about the residences, new developments, fees and the application process, visit our accommodation website for more information


One alternative to taking a gap year is to consider the International Exchange Program. If you’re interested in travelling, UOW offers a range of options including short overseas courses to fully international degrees, meaning you can choose to learn in another country for a few months to a few years.

By taking advantage of UOW’s 190 study abroad and exchange links in 45 countries, you can explore the globe while you study. Students can access a UOW Travel Grant or more than $17,000 in an OS-HELP loan to assist with one year of overseas study (this can be added to your HECS-HELP). Subjects taken offshore can be credited towards your UOW degree, so you can still graduate at the same time as your peers.

For further information, visit the UOW website.


UOW Careers Central is where you can access tailored careers services and resources. Faculty-based Career Consultants offer individual career consultations, workshops, ideas about how to enhance your employability, job search support, resume advice, assistance with interview preparation and more. Your Career Consultant will help you establish career goals and develop employability skills. 

To find out more, visit the UOW website.

Fees and charges

Undergraduate applicants

All bachelor degree students must pay student contributions for a Commonwealth-supported place (CSP). When you study in a CSP course, you only have to pay part of the cost of your course (a student contribution) and the Australian Government pays the remainder of the cost. 

To find out more about course fees, visit the UOW website.


All bachelor degree students are also required to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). In 2019 these were:

  • full-time students – $151.50 per half year ($303 annually)
  • part-time students – $75.75 per half year ($151.50 annually).

Students studying at all other UOW campuses pay 50 per cent of the above fees. To find out more about the SSAF, visit the UOW website.

International Year 12 applicants

Tuition fees are paid one session at a time. Your offer letter will state the tuition fee payable provided that you accept the current offer and commencement date. Tuition fees are set as an annual fee for a course and are subject to annual review.

For information about tuition fees, check the course descriptions in UAC’s course search.

All international students must pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). To find out more about the SSAF, visit the UOW website.

Postgraduate applicants

Study costs are dependent on whether the student is enrolled as a Commonwealth-supported student or a domestic fee-paying student. Most postgraduate coursework programs are offered as full fee-paying, where students are required to pay a tuition fee per unit studied, charged on a semester/trimester basis. Fees are indicative only and vary depending on the selection of courses within the study program. Fees are subject to change on an annual basis.

For information about tuition fees, check the course descriptions in UAC’s course search.

All students must pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). To find out more about the SSAF, visit the UOW website.

International students

Your stay in Australia


It is a requirement of the Department of Home Affairs that prospective international students can demonstrate that they have sufficient funds while living in Australia. 

Living costs include items such as:

  • Accommodation (including rental bond)
  • electricity and/or gas
  • entertainment
  • food
  • personal and household items
  • telephone and internet bills
  • transport (bus/train).

To find out more about living expenses in Australia, visit the UOW website.


During your stay in Australia you are permitted to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight during teaching periods, and unlimited hours outside teaching periods. Certain categories of voluntary, unpaid work is included in this total, and work undertaken as part of your course is not included. You should not rely on working to fund your tuition or living expenses while in Australia as work cannot be guaranteed and spending excessive amounts of time working may adversely affect your studies. Applications for work visas can only be submitted after you have arrived in Australia and started your classes. The Department of Home Affairs determines work entitlement for students. 

To find out more about working while studying, visit the UOW website.


Before you are granted a student visa, the Australian Government must be satisfied that you have appropriate accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements in place for the period that you will be under 18 years of age while in Australia.

UOW accepts enrolment by international students under the age of 18 only if you are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or a relative over the age of 21 who has been approved by your parent or guardian AND this arrangement is approved by DIBP. 

To find out more about Australian Government requirements, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


UOW's pre-arrival website for international students provides detailed information to help you prepare for life at UOW. The website offers practical suggestions to help you to prepare for your time in Wollongong and highlights some of the items that you will need to organise before leaving home. It is important that you read this information carefully and any other materials sent to you by the University, as soon as possible.

To find out more, visit the UOW website.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance for international students to help them with the costs of medical and hospital care they may require while they are in Australia. OSHC does not cover dental treatment. 

UOW’s preferred provider is Bupa Australia.

The Australian Government requires all international students on a student visa and their dependants to purchase an approved policy from an Australian registered health fund for the duration of their visas. OSHC is not included in tuition fees.

To find out more, visit the UOW website

Postgraduate students

International fee-paying students need to apply directly to the University of Wollongong’s Future Students office. International applicants should also contact the Australian diplomatic post in their own country for the procedures for obtaining an appropriate visa. 

To find out more, visit the UOW website.

Student support

Once you arrive, our international students’ support networks will ensure your transition to university life in Australia is an easy and enjoyable experience.

Some of these programs include:

  • airport pick-up
  • learning development programs
  • academic advisers and student support advisers
  • student safety
  • International Student Programs (ISP)
  • workplace learning to increase your employment prospects.

For details, visit the UOW website.