Frequently asked questions

FAQs about Educational Access Schemes

If you have a disability and are having problems with the UAC application process, call us on 1300 275 822 (from mobiles on (02) 9752 0200 or from overseas on +61 2 9752 0200) between 8.30am and 4.30pm (Sydney time) Monday to Friday. Alternatively, email us using the enquiry form or write to the Equity Unit, UAC, Locked Bag 112, Silverwater NSW 2128, Australia. We will help you with your application.

To be eligible for EAS consideration, your educational performance during Year 11 and/or 12 or equivalent must have been seriously affected by long-term educational disadvantage.

International applicants are not eligible to apply for EAS.

What does 'long-term' educational disadvantage mean?

Long-term educational disadvantage means your educational performance has been seriously affected by circumstances beyond your control or choosing, normally for a period of at least six months (before the end of October of the year you complete Year 12).

What are the categories of long-term educational disadvantage?

There are seven broad categories of long-term educational disadvantage: 

  • disrupted schooling 
  • financial hardship
  • home environment and responsibilities
  • English language difficulty
  • personal illness/disability
  • refugee status 
  • school environment.

When you apply, make sure you provide all information and documents specified in the categories of disadvantage tables.

Can I apply for EAS if I have a record of tertiary study?

Yes. Some institutions will consider EAS applicants with a record of tertiary study. Check with the institution before applying.

Can I apply for EAS if I am an elite athlete or performer?

Yes, but you can only claim consideration for EAS disadvantages, not those that are a result of your sporting and/or performance commitments.

Some institutions provide separate consideration for elite athletes or performers when making offers of admission.

For a medical illness, is a certificate from a GP acceptable, or does it have to be from a specialist?

Most GPs will know a person's background and circumstances but it is recommended that the medical professional who is treating you for your condition complete the required documents as they understand your illness and how it is affecting you.

What if no one at school knows my situation?

It is rare that a school has no knowledge of a student's situation. In the first instance, UAC expects that if you need to supply an educational impact statement you will have your school supply it. In the rare case that a school has no knowledge of your situation, you will need to have a responsible person write the educational impact statement.

A responsible person is a doctor, lawyer, accountant, social worker, counsellor, religious or community leader who is familiar with your circumstances and who can provide information regarding your disadvantage and its effect on your ability to study. The person must not be a family member or friend.

Do I find out if my selection rank will be adjusted as a result of my EAS application?

No. Neither your EAS eligibility letter nor UAC will tell you if your selection rank will be adjusted as a result of your EAS application. Some institutions provide details of their EAS adjustments on their websites.

How do institutions use EAS to make offers?

Institutions use EAS to make offers of admission in two ways.

  • They set aside a certain number of places for eligible EAS applicants
  • They apply adjustments that increase your selection rank.
If I’m eligible for EAS consideration, does this mean my ATAR will change?

No. If institutions adjust your selection rank for a particular preference or course; your ATAR does not change.

Can I add disadvantages after I’ve submitted my EAS application?

Yes. You can add one or more disadvantages using the supplementary EAS application form.

You will need to provide an applicant’s statement, an educational impact statement (where required) and supporting documentation for the new claims.

The same closing dates and guidelines apply to the supplementary application form as to your original application form. Adding disadvantages to an existing EAS application may result in an offer of admission in an upcoming offer round, but will not result in reconsideration of offers of admission made by institutions in previous offer rounds.

I wasn’t able to get some important documentation until after I’d submitted my EAS application. Can I submit the extra documents to UAC separately?

Yes. UAC will accept supporting documentation submitted separately. Please note that UAC will not follow up missing or insufficient supporting documentation for any EAS applicant.

When will I know the outcome of my application?

After your application has been assessed, you’ll receive an EAS eligibility letter, which lets you know whether or not you’re eligible for EAS consideration under each institution's scheme. The letter will include details of your eligibility status for each institution, whether or not you have that institution included in your course preferences.

Check the EAS key dates to find out when EAS eligibility letters will be released.