Frequently asked questions

FAQs about applying for uni

If you have a disability and are having problems with the UAC application process, call us on 1300 275 822 (from mobiles on (02) 9752 0200 or from overseas on +61 2 9752 0200) between 8.30am and 4.30pm (Sydney time) Monday to Friday or email us using the enquiry form. We will be happy to help you with your application.

I'm in Year 12. How do I start my application?

  1. To start your application, enter your Year 12 student number and your UAC PIN. 
    Your Year 12 student number is issued by your school. 
    2020 NSW HSC applicants and ACT Year 12 applicants: Your UAC PIN will be emailed to the address you registered with NESA. 
    All other applicants, including Year 12 students from other states: Your UAC PIN is the first four digits of your date of birth – eg if your birthday is 3 October, your UAC PIN is 0310.
  2. Your personal details will autofill. Check them carefully and make sure you provide a personal email address (not your school email address). UAC will contact you about your application via email. Once your personal details are complete, you will be issued with a UAC application number. You will need to use this number and your UAC PIN to log back in to your application later.
  3. You can then go on to choose your course preferences and submit your application.

When do I need to apply?

Main and final closing dates for applying are listed in the course search. Apply by the main closing date to guarantee that your application will be considered. If you apply after the main closing date listed, your application will only be considered if there are places still available.

How many times can I apply?

You can submit one UAC application in each admissions period. If you change your mind about what you want to study, you can simply change your course preferences.

How many courses can I choose?

In your undergraduate application, you can select up to five course preferences. If you’re an international Year 12 applicant or you’re applying for postgraduate courses, you can select up to six. If you're interested in only one course, then enter only that course.

Not all undergraduate courses for 2021 will be available when applications open. If you can’t find the course you want to apply for, choose another course as a placeholder and come back later to review and change your preferences. Courses will be added gradually over the following months and all semester 1, 2021 courses will be available by early August.

Some courses have early closing dates. Check the latest course information through the course search.

Can I choose more than one start date for the same course?

Yes. You can apply for the same course with multiple start dates; however, each start date is considered a new preference.

I can't find the course I want to apply for.

Not all undergraduate courses for 2021 will be available when applications open. If you can’t find the course you want to apply for, choose another course as a placeholder and come back later to review and change your preferences. Courses will be added gradually over the following months and all semester 1, 2021 courses will be available by early August.

Does the order in which I list my course preferences matter?

Undergraduate applicants: Yes. You can only receive one offer in each offer round and institutions will consider your course preferences according to the order in which you list them. If you're eligible and competitive enough for the first preference you've listed, you'll be made an offer to that course and the rest of your preferences won't be considered. If you aren't eligible for your first preference, but are eligible and competitive enough for your second preference, you'll be made an offer to your second preference and the rest of your preferences won't be considered. You'll be considered equally with all other eligible applicants, whether it is your first or fifth preference. Read about selecting and changing undergraduate course preferences.

International applicants: Yes. Each institution will consider your application separately and they will consider your courses in the order you've listed them in your application. You could therefore receive one offer from each institution to which you've applied. Read about selecting and changing international course preferences.

Postgraduate applicants: It depends on which institutions you are applying to: some institutions use a preference-based offer system, which means the order of your preferences matters, while others use a multiple offer system, which means the order does not matter. Read about selecting and changing postgraduate course preferences.

Are all my preferences given equal consideration?

Yes. Your course preferences are considered in the order you have listed them on your application. 

Do I need to provide documents with my application?

If you need to provide supporting documents, you will be prompted to do so in your application. The required documents will also be listed in your Confirmation of Application, which you can download when you complete your application.

Most Year 12 applicants don’t need to provide supporting documents; however, it will be suggested that you supply documentary evidence of your Australian citizenship to help speed up the admission and enrolment process if you receive an offer.

All documents must be uploaded to your application as PDFs. 

Read more about providing documents.

Can I apply for postgraduate courses at the same time as undergraduate courses?

Yes, but you'll need to submit a separate postgraduate application. International postgraduate applicants must apply directly to the university.

Do I need to tell UAC about all the studies I've done since Year 12?

You must provide details of previous study to UAC in your application: all completed secondary studies, and complete or incomplete tertiary study (Certificate III and above), including any courses you started in semester 1 this year. Some studies and qualifications aren’t taken into account by institutions so you don’t have to include these in your application:

  • Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificates I and II
  • Statements of Attainment
  • TAFE Statements
  • courses delivered by Australian private providers that are not accredited. Only those courses accredited under the Australian Qualifications Framework, or by the relevant state/territory accreditation authority, will be taken into account. Qualifications undertaken with private providers won't be assessed without proof of accreditation for the particular course.

Most institutions will offer you credit for previous study. Read about credit transfer.

I'm studying/taking an exam after I apply. Should I include this in my application?

Yes, and you may be asked to provide evidence of your results. Upload your transcript to your application as soon as you receive it.

Will my previous employment count as part of my application?

For some courses at some institutions, your work experience will be taken into account with your application. To be considered, your employment experience must be equivalent to at least one year full-time. Therefore, employment experience is not relevant for Year 12 applicants.

Read more about work experience being used as selection criteria.

Why have my qualification details changed since I entered them when I applied?

UAC assesses all qualifications using procedures and guidelines agreed to by UAC’s participating institutions. UAC may need to change details as entered by you in your application. These changes may be due to an error or omission in your application, or as a result of the institutions’ assessment guidelines. If your qualification is an international qualification, UK NARIC and the Australian Education International – National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR) are the primary sources that are used to determine the Australian equivalency of your qualification.

How will I know if my application is successful?

If you receive an offer we'll send you an email. Most institutions require you to accept your offer online, however, each institution has particular instructions for accepting offers. Check the institution's website and follow the instructions carefully.