Frequently asked questions

FAQs about Equity Scholarships

If you have a disability and are having problems with the UAC application process, call us on 1300 275 822 (from mobiles on (02) 9752 0200 or from overseas on +61 2 9752 0200) between 8.30am and 4.30pm (Sydney time) Monday to Friday. Alternatively, email us using the enquiry form. We will help you with your application.

How can I maximise my chances of getting a scholarship?

Check your application carefully before submitting. After you’ve submitted your application, log back in, select the ‘Upload documents’ tab and check whether you need to provide supporting documents.

Provide your supporting documents as soon as possible after submitting your application, but no later than 10 days prior to a scholarship offer round (to be considered in that round).

I’m an enrolled student but also an applicant for admission. Which one should I enter in my Equity Scholarships application?

Both. It’s vital that you enter details of your current enrolment and your application for admission in your Equity Scholarships application. You’ll only be considered for a scholarship offer by institutions at which you’re currently enrolled and/or from which you receive an offer of admission. If you don’t enter all your application and enrolment details, you may miss out on a scholarship offer. After you have submitted your Equity Scholarships application you should log back in to update any changes to your enrolment status.

Why didn’t my Equity Scholarships application ask me which scholarship I want to apply for?

Your Equity Scholarships application gathers all the information needed to allow institutions to determine which of their scholarships you’re eligible for. When you apply, you don’t have to nominate which Equity Scholarship you’re applying for as you’ll be considered for all scholarships for which you’re eligible.

Why do I need to provide documents?

It’s necessary to provide the documents requested:

  • to verify that you’re eligible
  • to assist in ranking your application in relation to other applications.

What can I do if I've missed the 10-day deadline for submitting my supporting documents?

In order for your ES application to be assessed in time for a particular offer round, you should apply and upload your documentation as early as possible, and no later than 10 days before a scholarship offer round to ensure assessment is complete. 

But if you miss the 10-day deadline, just upload your documentation as soon as you’re able. Your Equity Scholarships application remains valid for the entire admissions period and will be updated as further documentation is provided.

UAC will make every effort to assess all supporting documentation submitted before institutions make their scholarship offers, but cannot guarantee the assessment of documents submitted outside the required time frame.

What’s a Centrelink (or other Commonwealth) income support payment?

Income support payments are financial assistance administered by the Australian Government. These payments are made based on an assessment of the income and sometimes assets of the applicant, their partner, carer or supporter. For information about Centrelink means-tested income support payments, visit the Department of Human Services website. Family Tax Benefit Part A and B are NOT means-tested payments.

Examples of means-tested income support include:

  • Youth Allowance
  • Austudy
  • JobSeeker Allowance
  • Disability Support Pension
  • Parenting Payment (Single)
  • Carer Payment.

How are permanent residences classified as regional or remote?

The postcode of your permanent residence will be used to assess whether you lived in a regional or remote area of Australia. The Australian Standard Geographic Classification Remoteness Areas map can be used as a guide for your postcode. All categories other than ‘RA1 – Major Cities of Australia’ are considered to be regional or remote.

Who is considered a ‘carer’?

You are defined as a carer if, without being paid, you care for another person who needs ongoing support because of a long-term medical condition, a mental illness, a disability, frailty or the need for palliative care.

  • A carer may or may not be a family member and may or may not live with the person they care for.
  • A carer may be in receipt of a Centrelink Carer Allowance or Carer Payment.
  • Volunteers under the auspices of a voluntary organisation are not included.

Who is considered a ‘sole parent’?

You are defined as a sole parent if you are single and have at least one child under 18 who is wholly or primarily in your care and who is living in Australia.

Where can I find my Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN)?

Your CRN is printed on all correspondence sent to you by Centrelink, including Centrelink's concession card. Your CRN is not the same as your Centrelink Customer Access Number (CAN). Contact Centrelink to obtain your CRN if you’re unsure.

I’m not currently receiving a Centrelink income support payment but have applied for one (or will apply for one in the near future). Can I still apply for financial hardship?

Yes. If you expect to receive a Centrelink means-tested income support payment in the future, you’ll be asked to indicate in the online application when you expect to receive your first payment.

You won’t be asked to provide documents; however, after enrolment and prior to payment of a scholarship, you must provide your institution with evidence that you have received a support payment. Alternatively, email your CRN to once your first payment has been credited to your bank account and we will update your assessment.