University of Canberra

About University of Canberra

When you choose the University of Canberra (UC), you’re setting yourself up for success. Our youthful ambition, talent and drive have seen us become Australia’s fastest rising university, rocketing up the international rankings, to be part of top 2 per cent of universities world-wide and among the top 100 universities under the age of 50 (2019 Times Higher Education University Rankings).

The University of Canberra has earned a reputation for producing some of the country’s most employable graduates. Thanks to our contemporary and fearless approach to education, you’ll put on your cap and gown as one of the most employable students in the country, commanding the highest starting salaries in the state (2018 Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching).

Based in Australia’s lifestyle capital, Canberra, the campus is set on 120 hectares of picturesque native bushland. Our campus comes alive with coffee shops, restaurants, bars, lounges and lawns. There are a number of professional and social clubs and societies and sports teams to take part in, plus regular social events.

School’s out, uni’s in and it’s finally time to choose your own adventure. At UC, you’ll thrive in a friendly and flexible environment which inspires thinking, collaboration and practical experience. Expand your horizons, hone your dreams and, ultimately, blaze your own path.

University of Canberra student cohort profile.

Acceptance and enrolment

Undergraduate applicants


Successful applicants will receive information about online acceptance and enrolment at the time of receiving an offer.


You may be granted credit if you have undertaken previous tertiary studies. Bring all relevant documentation to your course enrolment advisory session. 


Students may apply for course deferment of up to one year only. Students can only defer an offer once.

To find out more, visit the University of Canberra website

International Year 12 applicants


To accept your offer:

  • read the acceptance instructions included in your offer letter and accept online
  • submit all required documents, including those to meet your conditions of offer, which are outlined on your offer letter
  • make your payment.

Once you have sent the above documents to the University, we will send you a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Your CoE will allow you to apply for your student visa.


International applicants applying for admission on the basis of qualifications other than those listed above must apply directly to the University, not through UAC. 

An enrolment and orientation program is organised each semester for new students. It is designed to assist and advise students on issues such as courses and enrolment, cultural adaptation, finding accommodation and living in Australia, and visa requirements.

All international students must attend the enrolment and orientation program in order to finalise their enrolment.  To find out more, visit the University of Canberra website

Postgraduate applicants

If you are offered a place in a postgraduate program you will receive an offer notification from UAC. Offers are made progressively as decisions are provided by the relevant faculties. 

If you have already successfully undertaken relevant study at another higher education institution you may be granted credit on enrolment in a program. You need to submit your Application for Credit form, with correctly verified copies of appropriate documentation such as academic transcripts and course content descriptions. For course advice, speak to the relevant course convenor. 

To find out more, visit the University of Canberra website

Campus information


The University's main campus is situated in the suburb of Bruce, only minutes away from Canberra's Civic Centre. University of Canberra degrees can also be studied online or physically in Sydney, Melbourne, and in multiple locations in Queensland or internationally in Hong Kong, China and Bhutan.

To find out more, visit the University of Canberra website.

Student and campus services

UC has a range of student support services. These include counselling, chaplaincy, academic assistance and learning support, and employment and career advice. Campus facilities include a medical centre, computing centre, sporting and recreation facilities, and a childcare centre.

The university supports a variety of student organisations, clubs and societies for students to become involved in campus life. The Ngunnawal Centre provides a range of academic programs and pastoral support services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.


UC has dedicated support services for students with disabilities and special needs. For more information, contact Inclusion and Engagement.


The Medical and Counselling Centre is a service dedicated to the needs of UC students and the University community. General practitioners, nurses and counsellors provide treatment, counselling and advice for medical and personal problems.

International students are required to bring their student card and their OSHC card when they attend their appointment. Visits to the doctor are paid for by the OSHC provider.

To find out more, visit the University of Canberra website


UC offers a range of options for campus accommodation including Campus West and Guginya as well as UC Lodge, Cooper Lodge and Weeden Lodge. UC offers guaranteed accommodation to all first-year students. To find out more about UC student and campus services, visit the University of Canberra website.

Fees and charges

Undergraduate applicants

All UC students must pay student contributions for a Commonwealth-supported place (CSP). When you study in a CSP course, you only have to pay part of the cost of your course (a student contribution) and the Australian Government pays the remainder of the cost. 

To find out more about course fees, visit the University of Canberra website


Students are also required to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). The 2019 SSAF is:

  • full-time students – $303 annually
  • part-time students - $227.25 annually.

To find out more about the SSAF, visit the University of Canberra website.

International Year 12 applicants

Tuition fees are calculated on a per subject basis. For current fee information, visit the University of Canberra website.


Students are also required to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). The 2019 SSAF is:

  • full-time students – $303 annually
  • part-time students - $227.25 annually.

To find out more about the SSAF, visit the University of Canberra website.

Postgraduate applicants

Postgraduate coursework students are required to pay a fee set by the University for tuition for each unit within the course. Tuition fees can be paid up-front to the University. This fee is indicative only and varies depending on unit selection within the course. 

For more information on postgraduate course fees, visit UAC's course search

International students

Your stay in Australia


It is a requirement of the Department of Home Affairs that prospective international students can demonstrate that they have sufficient funds while living in Australia. 

Living costs include items such as:

  • accommodation (including rental bond)
  • electricity and/or gas
  • entertainment
  • food
  • personal and household items
  • telephone and internet bills
  • transport (bus/train).

To find out more about living expenses in Australia, visit the University of Canberra website.


During your stay in Australia you are permitted to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight during teaching periods, and unlimited hours outside teaching periods. Certain categories of voluntary, unpaid work is included in this total, and work undertaken as part of your course is not included. You should not rely on working to fund your tuition or living expenses while in Australia as work cannot be guaranteed and spending excessive amounts of time working may adversely affect your studies. Applications for work visas can only be submitted after you have arrived in Australia and started your classes. The Department of Home Affairs determines work entitlement for students. 

To find out more about working while studying in Australia, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


UC has an online pre-departure guide which provides detailed information on a range of topics including:

  • living and studying in Canberra
  • what to bring with you to Canberra
  • accommodation options and contacts.


The University of Canberra operates an airport and bus pick up service all year for first time arriving students requiring assistance getting to their accommodation. This service is only available for students studying at the Canberra campus. 

To find out more, visit the University of Canberra website


Before you are granted a student visa, the Australian Government must be satisfied that you have appropriate accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements in place for the period that you will be under 18 years of age while in Australia.

To find out more, visit the Department of Home Affairs website or the University of Canberra website.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance for international students to help them with the costs of medical and hospital care they may require while they are in Australia. OSHC does not cover dental treatment. UC’s preferred provider is Allianz Global Assistance. Your offer letter will contain details of the fee payable for OSHC for the duration of your course.

The Australian Government requires all international students on a student visa and their dependants to purchase an approved policy from an Australian registered health fund for the duration of their visas. OSHC is not included in tuition fees.

To find out more, visit