Requirements for health, welfare and teaching courses

If you apply for courses related to health, welfare and teaching, you’ll need to satisfy requirements related to:

  • clinical/internship placements undertaken as part of your course
  • proof of English language proficiency
  • accreditation and procedures for employment after you have completed the course. 

If you apply for medicine and some health science degrees, you must also pass the University Clinical Aptitude Test or International Students Admissions Test (ISAT).

Some teaching courses require you to complete a questionnaire as part of your application.

Health and welfare courses

Students who need to complete clinical placements in the NSW public health system will be subject to NSW Health’s policies. If you do not comply with the following requirements, you will not be permitted to attend your clinical placement in the NSW health system and progress in your course may be affected.


In accordance with NSW Health policy, students who need to complete clinical placements in the NSW public health system are required to:

  • obtain a National Criminal Record Check before they commence clinical placements in NSW Health facilities
  • sign a Code of Conduct Agreement stating that they will abide by the NSW Health Code of Conduct. 

To ensure you provide the correct documentation: visit NSW Health’s website or the Health Education and Training website.


Students who need to complete clinical training in NSW public health facilities are subject to NSW Health requirements for healthcare workers to demonstrate their protection against specified infectious diseases in the first year of their course: search for ‘clinical placements’ on the NSW Health website

There are other restrictions on clinical practice of healthcare workers with certain blood-borne viruses. For more information, refer to Management of health care workers with a blood borne virus and those doing exposure prone procedures.


If you have undertaken your studies in an overseas country, you may have to provide proof of proficiency in English when you apply for admission through UAC. Most institutions have many ways for you to provide proof of English language proficiency.

If you are applying for the first time in Australia for registration as a nurse or a midwife, you are required to show English language proficiency. You must meet the English language skills registration standard of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.


The University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) is used specifically to help universities with the selection of students into medicine, dentistry and some clinical science degree programs at undergraduate level.

The test helps universities to select applicants with the most appropriate mental abilities, attitudes and professional behaviours required for new doctors and dentists to be successful in their clinical careers. It is used in collaboration with other admissions processes such as interviews and academic qualifications. It does not measure academic knowledge.

UCAT 2019 will be held in July. Visit the UCAT website or call (03) 8508 7643 for further information.


The International Student Admissions Test (ISAT) is a three-hour computer-based multiple choice test produced by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) to assist with the selection of international students for undergraduate courses. 

ISAT measures intellectual skill and abilities that are the foundation of academic success at tertiary level.

Visit the ISAT website for more information and for a list of courses that require ISAT.

Teaching courses

For accreditation as a teacher in NSW, graduates will need to meet requirements set by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). Students entering accredited teaching programs need to have achieved a minimum of three Band 5s, one of which must be in English, in their HSC or meet a comparable academic standard early in the program.

Check with individual institutions for further information on requirements for particular teaching programs and other approved pathways to study if you do not meet these requirements.


Admission requirements are set out in the individual course descriptions accessed through the course search. For further information, check with individual institutions about their specific entry requirements.

Some institutions require you to complete a questionnaire as part of your application. 

How to complete the teaching questionnaire.


You must meet the NESA subject content requirements either before admission or before graduation.

To be offered admission to a postgraduate primary teaching degree, your undergraduate (or any postgraduate) degree/s must contain at least one year of full-time study in one key learning area or a combination of key learning areas from the primary school curriculum.

To be offered admission to a postgraduate secondary teaching degree, your undergraduate (or any postgraduate) degree/s must contain a major in the first subject you intend to teach and a minor in any additional subjects you would like to teach.

The initial teacher education providers determine if you meet these subject content requirements.

Check the NESA website for details of requirements for teachers in NSW.


All initial teacher education students will need to meet the benchmark set by the national Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students prior to their final professional experience placement and graduation. Read about the test at the Australian Council for Educational Research website.


If you intend to engage in child-related work, you must hold a valid Working With Children Check clearance. Visit the Office of the Children’s Guardian website for more information.

Additionally, you must be employment screened before beginning an internship or associate teacher program in schools. This may involve providing a Working With Children Check clearance number and completing other employment screening requirements. Visit the Teach NSW website for details.

If you do not meet these requirements, you may not be able to undertake practical course requirements in NSW schools.