How to apply for uni

Documents you may need to provide to UAC

If you need to provide supporting documents, you will be prompted to do so in your application. The required documents will also be listed in your Confirmation of Application, which you can download when you complete your application.

Citizenship document requirements

All Australian citizen applicants are encouraged to supply documentary evidence of their Australian citizenship in order to speed up the admission and enrolment process.


The documentary evidence you need to provide depends on when and where you were born.

Your birth detailsProvide ONE of the listed documents
Born in Australia before 20 August 1986
  • Full birth certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Australian passport
  • Australian citizenship certificate
Born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and one or both parents was an Australian citizen at the time
  • Australian passport
  • Full birth certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages plus one of the following:
    - a parent’s Australian citizenship certificate, or
    - if the parent was born in Australia before 20 August 1986, their full birth certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and one or both parents was a permanent resident of Australia at the time
  • Australian passport
  • Full birth certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, plus - a parent’s Australian citizenship certificate, or - proof of a parent’s permanent residency
Born overseas and acquired citizenship by application
  • Australian passport
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Citizenship by descent extract
  • Extract from an adoption in accordance with either the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption or a bilateral arrangement
  • Extract from the register of Australian births abroad


  • Certificate of evidence of residence status
  • Permanent resident visa
  • Permanent resident humanitarian visa


  • Birth certificate from New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau
  • New Zealand passport
  • New Zealand citizenship certificate
  • Confirmation of birth in New Zealand certificate
Qualification document requirements

If applicable, you'll need to supply documentary evidence (including proof of completion) of the following:

  • TAFE studies outside NSW and the ACT
  • enrolled nursing, secretarial or trade studies before 1994
  • Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) courses delivered by private providers (Documentation must indicate AQF accreditation: eg AQF logo / Nationally Recognised Training logo. Your qualification will not be assessed without proof of accreditation.)
  • overseas secondary or tertiary studies
  • professional and paraprofessional qualifications
  • a current Australian nurse’s registration
  • employment experience.

You can either upload these documents in your application or post or deliver them to UAC.

Australian academic transcript requirements

If UAC cannot obtain your results directly from an institution, you'll need to provide an official academic transcript. The transcript must show:

  • the title of the course undertaken
  • all subjects taken
  • grades obtained (including failures)
  • stage reached or qualification gained
  • proof of course completion (where course is complete)
  • a copy of the grading scale where available.

A collection of examination result slips is not acceptable. Apply for your transcript/s early – some institutions may need time to supply official transcripts.

If you have completed the course, the transcript you provide must state the award you gained. If the transcript does not state that you have successfully completed the course, you must provide additional information; for example, a copy of your Certificate or Diploma.


You may not be able to provide all documentation with your application because you're about to sit an exam or you haven't received your results yet. If this is the case, provide UAC with a copy of your transcript as soon as you receive it.

Overseas qualification document requirements

You must supply a copy of your official transcript of records, as well as an award certificate if the qualification is complete.

UAC is not authorised to assess Diploma Supplements in lieu of the official transcript of records because Diploma Supplements may only provide passing grades you have achieved and exclude low or failing grades that also need to be taken into account in assessing your application.

If your official documents for your overseas study are not in English, you must also supply copies of the following documents:

  • the original language transcript of records showing subjects and results
  • the original language award certificate (if a qualification has been completed)
  • an English translation of these documents (read below for organisations who can translate your documents)
  • a copy of the grading scale if available.

Your documents must be translated by one of the following:

  • Multicultural NSW or its interstate equivalent.
  • a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). The translator must be accredited as at least a ‘professional translator’ (previously known as 'Level 3'). Translated documents must display the official NAATI stamp provided to qualified translators; the stamp shows the level of accreditation and the direction in which they are accredited to translate.
  • the Ministry/Department of Foreign Affairs or a local court or government agency that offers a translation service in the applicant’s home country. The translated document must display the organisation’s name and official seal, and the translator’s name and contact details.
  • a sworn translator approved by the Australian diplomatic missions in Belgium, France, Indonesia, Switzerland or Thailand.

Translations by any other sources, including overseas notaries, will not be accepted.


Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) may be presented in support of tertiary studies undertaken in the UK.


UAC may specifically request some applicants to submit a Credentials Report from China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). A Credentials Report, which is used to verify studies, includes the following:

  • background information about the Certificate/Diploma holder
  • legality of the degree or Certificate issuers
  • authenticity of the documents.

The report is provided by the CDGDC for a fee. Visit the China Qualifications Verification website for more information.

Employment experience document requirements

Some institutions will take employment experience into consideration when assessing your application. (However, this does not usually apply to Year 12 students.) Only paid employment of one year or more will be considered. This includes continuous employment with one employer, or periods undertaking the same job with different employers. Unpaid and voluntary work experience will not be considered.

You must supply a statement of service on the employer’s official stationery stating:

  • job title
  • period served, including start and end dates, and hours worked – such as full-time or part-time (eg 20 hours per week)
  • major tasks required in the job.

Personal references that do not state these items cannot be assessed. Group certificates, offers of employment, payslips and CVs will not be accepted.

If you are self-employed, you must supply a copy of your business certificate of registration and a letter from your accountant or solicitor, on their official stationery, stating:

  • how long you have been continuously engaged in the business
  • the nature of the business.

Course-specific documents

Depending on the course preferences you choose, you may also need to upload course-specific documents, such as a personal statement, CV, questionnaire or portfolio.

How to write a personal statement for teaching courses

If you've applied for a teaching course at one of the following institutions, you'll need to submit a personal statement:

  • Australian Catholic University
  • University of New England
  • University of Technology Sydney.

The one personal statement is valid for all teaching preferences to the above institutions.

The University of Sydney and the University of Wollongong no longer require a personal statement as part of the assessment.

In your personal statement, you must address both of the following categories:


Write approximately 500 words (1 page) about your motivation and suitability for teaching.

You may consider the following prompts to frame your response:

  • Who or what has inspired you to become a teacher?
  • Why is teaching a good career choice?
  • Why are you interested in teaching young children/young people?
  • What subjects are you interested in teaching and why?
  • What does being a good teacher mean?
  • What skills and abilities do you have that will make you a good teacher? 


Write approximately 500 words (1 page) about your involvement in learning and/or leadership activities that demonstrate the following:

  • commitment to learning
  • conscientiousness
  • resilience
  • interpersonal and communication skills
  • organisation and planning skills.

You could describe examples from your:

  • school experience
    – co-curricular participation (eg arts, sports, debating, social justice)
    – projects (eg curriculum projects, science fairs)
    – leadership experiences (eg student leadership positions, arts, sports)
    – support of other learners (eg peer mentoring, coaching, buddy programs)
  • work experience
    – employment history and roles
    – employment involving children or young people
    – work-based training undertaken
    – work-based training provided
  • volunteer and community experience
    – volunteer or community experience (eg community groups, parish/church groups, cadets, lifesaving, fundraising, clubs)
    – community learning and training experiences (eg Guides, Scouts, Duke of Edinburgh Award, St Johns)
  • personal talents, interests and abilities
    – elite performance (eg athletic, creative arts, other areas)
  • disadvantage that you have overcome
    – social, cultural or economic
    – geographical – remote and rural
    – personal and health.

You may consider the following prompts to frame your response:

  • What learning activities have I been engaged in?
  • What leadership activities have I undertaken?
  • What activities of personal interest am I involved in?
  • How long have I participated? How am I involved?
  • What tasks or events have I planned and/or organised?
  • How have I shown that I can work with others?
  • What do I do to overcome obstacles, challenges or problems?

Change of name

If you have studied under a previous name, you must supply documentary evidence to prove your change of name, such as a marriage certificate, deed poll registration or other registration with the appropriate Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. The documentation must show your previous name/s and your current name/s. Without this documentation, your application may be delayed.