University of Wollongong

International students

General admission requirements

As an international student completing one of the following qualifications in 2024, you will apply for admission through UAC and will generally be selected on the basis of your performance in these studies (ie your ATAR or equivalent):

  • an Australian Year 12 qualification (either outside or in Australia)
  • an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
  • a New Zealand National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) Level 3.

When assessing your application, UOW may take any or all of your qualifications or attempts at study into account.

International applicants applying for admission on the basis of qualifications other than those listed above must apply directly to the University, not through UAC.

How to apply

Selection rank adjustments

Location adjustments

Students who attend an eligible school either in UOW’s catchment area or in regional NSW will receive three selection rank adjustment points. When you apply through UAC, these points will be automatically added to your selection rank

UOW catchment adjustments

Subject adjustments

At UOW, we recognise that strong performance in subjects relevant to the degree you wish to study can be an indicator of likely success. If you do well in an HSC subject that is relevant to the UOW degree you’d like to study, you may be eligible for up to three selection rank adjustment points. When you apply through UAC, these points will be automatically added to your selection rank.

If you're an interstate student, you can check which NSW HSC subjects are comparable to your Year 12 subjects, and how results in your subjects compare to results in NSW HSC subjects: compare your Year 12 courses and results to NSW HSC courses and results. If you have completed the IB Diploma in Australia, refer to: equivalent IB subjects and results.

Subject adjustments

Additional selection criteria

In addition to achieving the standard of performance required for admission, some courses have additional selection criteria, such as a personal statement, a questionnaire, a portfolio of work, an audition, an interview or a test. These criteria are taken into account in conjunction with your ATAR or equivalent.

Details of additional selection criteria and how applicants can meet these requirements are outlined in the course descriptions in UAC's course search.

Other admission options

Early admission

UOW Early Admission is our early offer program for students completing Year 12 during 2024. When you apply for Early Admission, UOW looks beyond your ATAR and considers your unique skills and experiences, alongside your Year 11 results, so you can receive an offer to study at UOW before you sit your final exams.

To apply for Early Admission you must be completing an Australian senior secondary qualification (eg. HSC or interstate equivalent) or completing the IB Diploma in Australia.

UOW Early Admission


Tuition fees are paid one session at a time. Your offer letter will state the tuition fee payable provided that you accept the current offer and commencement date. Tuition fees are set as an annual fee for a course and are subject to annual review.

For information about tuition fees, check the course descriptions in UAC’s course search.

All bachelor degree students are also required to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). In 2024 these are:

  • full-time students – $175.50 per half year ($351 annually)
  • part-time students – $87.75 per half year ($175.50 annually).

Students studying at all other UOW campuses pay 50 per cent of the above fees.

UOW Student Services and Amenities Fee

Your stay in Australia

It is a requirement of the Department of Home Affairs that prospective international students can demonstrate that they have sufficient funds while living in Australia. Living costs include items such as:

  • accommodation (including rental bond)
  • electricity and/or gas
  • entertainment
  • food
  • personal and household items
  • telephone and internet bills
  • transport (bus/train).

Living expenses in Australia

During your stay in Australia you are permitted to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight during teaching periods, and unlimited hours outside teaching periods. Certain categories of voluntary, unpaid work is included in this total, and work undertaken as part of your course is not included. You should not rely on working to fund your tuition or living expenses while in Australia as work cannot be guaranteed and spending excessive amounts of time working may adversely affect your studies. Applications for work visas can only be submitted after you have arrived in Australia and started your classes. The Department of Home Affairs determines work entitlement for students.

Working while studying in Australia

UOW accepts enrolment by international students under the age of 18 who will be living in Australia with a parent, legal guardian or relative, approved by the Department of Home Affairs. If you do not have a guardian living with you in Australia, you must be at least 18 years of age by the date of commencement of session.

If you will not have a parent, legal guardian or approved relative living with you in Australia, you may apply for a course offered by UOW College Australia, which accepts students under the age of 18 under the following circumstances:

  • you are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or a relative over the age of 21 who has been approved by your parent/guardian AND this arrangement is approved by the Department of Home Affairs; or
  • you apply for an approved homestay arrangement for students under the age of 18.

Australian Government requirements

UOW's pre-arrival website for international students provides detailed information to help you prepare for life at UOW. The website offers practical suggestions to help you to prepare for your time in Wollongong and highlights some of the items that you will need to organise before leaving home. It is important that you read this information carefully and any other materials sent to you by the University, as soon as possible.

Prepare for your arrival to UOW

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance for international students to help them with the costs of medical and hospital care they may require while they are in Australia. OSHC does not cover dental treatment.

UOW’s preferred provider is Bupa Australia.

The Australian Government requires all international students on a student visa and their dependants to purchase an approved policy from an Australian registered health fund for the duration of their visas. OSHC is not included in tuition fees.

Your study options and visa responsibilities

International fee-paying students need to apply directly to the University of Wollongong. International applicants should also contact the Australian diplomatic post in their own country for the procedures for obtaining an appropriate visa.

How to apply

Once you arrive, our international students’ support networks will ensure your transition to university life in Australia is an easy and enjoyable experience.

Some of these programs include:

  • airport pick-up
  • learning development programs
  • academic advisers and student support advisers
  • student safety
  • International Student Programs (ISP)
  • workplace learning to increase your employment prospects.

Pre-arrival checklist

General information for University of Wollongong


UOW Student Central, (ground floor Building 17)
Northfields Avenue, Gwynneville NSW 2500

View all campus locations


1300 367 869 (within Australia)
+61 2 4221 3218 (international)

View all contact details

Important dates

Academic calendar

Entry schemes via UAC

Educational Access Schemes

Financial assistance

Equity Scholarships

Other scholarships & schemes