Deferment and taking up a deferred offer FAQ

Questions and answers about who can defer an offer and how to do it.

What does deferment mean?

Deferment means that you've received an offer to enrol in a course but have been given permission by the institution to delay the start of the course for a fixed period, usually six months or one year.

This means that if you receive an offer to study in 2015 and defer for one year, you'll start your studies in 2016. All deferments are granted subject to the course being offered the following semester or following year.

Who can defer?

It depends on the institution. Download institutions' deferment policies.

How do I defer?

When you receive an offer to enrol in a course, information included with your offer will explain how to apply for deferment.

Most institutions will ask you to provide a statement to explain why you want to defer and what you'll be doing during this period.

If your deferment application is successful, you'll receive written confirmation of your deferment from your institution with instructions on how to re-apply for your deferred course.

How do I take up my deferred place?

It depends on the institution. For most institutions you need to re-apply directly to them – carefully read the instructions you received from your institution when you deferred.

Apply directly to the following institutions:

  • APM College of Business and Communication
  • Australasian College of Natural Therapies
  • Australian Catholic University
  • Australian College of Applied Psychology
  • Australian Maritime College
  • Australian National University
  • Billy Blue College of Design
  • Charles Sturt University
  • CQUniversity
  • Griffith University
  • International College of Management, Sydney
  • Jansen Newman Institute
  • La Trobe University
  • Macleay College
  • Macquarie University
  • MIT Sydney
  • SAE Creative Media Institute, Australia
  • SIBT
  • Southern Cross University
  • University of Canberra
  • University of New England
  • University of Newcastle
  • University of Technology, Sydney
  • University of Western Sydney
  • University of Wollongong
  • UNSW Australia
  • UNSW Canberra at ADFA
  • William Blue College of Hospitality

For the following institution you need to re-apply through UAC:

  • University of Sydney

You need to submit a new application through UAC, included the UAC course code for your deferred course and supply all your supporting documentation again.

Courses may change from year to year – use the course search to find the current UAC course codes and information about the courses the institutions are offering.

Do I need to pay to defer?

Some institutions charge a fee when you defer. If you need to re-apply through UAC to your deferred course, you must pay the relevant UAC processing charge.

Can I apply for other courses when I re-apply?

Yes. If you deferred but would like to be considered for other courses, then put these courses ahead of your deferred course in your list of preferences.

If you receive an offer to a course that you put ahead of your deferred course, then your deferred offer is no longer valid.

Can my offer lapse?

Yes. There are two circumstances when your deferred offer can lapse:

  • When you re-apply, if you receive an offer to a course you've placed ahead of your deferred course, your deferred offer will lapse. You can't receive an offer to a new course and still keep your deferred offer.
  • If you undertake degree studies or certain levels of TAFE study other than NSW HSC courses during your deferment year, your offer may lapse. Check with each institution for specific policies.

Download a fact sheet