Qualifications Assessment Service (QAS)

When you apply through UAC to study at our participating institutions we will assess your qualifications as part of the standard assessment process.

However, in some instances you may want to have your qualifications assessed before you apply; for example:

  • you want to find out if you are likely to be eligible for tertiary study
  • you are applying direct to an institution that requires you to provide a qualifications assessment statement (eg applications for graduate entry to University of Sydney Medical School and at the Australian Defence Force Academy).

UAC’s online Qualifications Assessment Service can assess your qualifications and provide you with a qualifications assessment statement.

Our assessments:

  • are not an application for study at UAC’s participating institutions
  • are a guide only and UAC’s participating institutions are not bound by the assessments
  • are valid as at the date of issue and based on the confidential common assessment procedures and guidelines approved by UAC’s participating institutions
  • are subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the disclaimer.

Assessment time and fee

Assessments usually take one to two weeks. The fee is $120 (including GST) and must be paid by credit card or PayPal before you can submit your online request for assessment.

Graduate Medicine/Dentistry (Sydney Medical School)

QAS applications are now closed for this course.


What qualifications will UAC assess?

We assess:
  • completed Year 12-level studies
  • tertiary and post-secondary studies, including technical and vocational studies
  • the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)
  • tertiary preparation courses
  • professional qualifications, including hospital-based nursing certificates and professional body awards.
We do not assess:
  • work experience.

How does UAC calculate grade point averages?

UAC converts grades into numerical values and then calculates a standardised grade point average. UAC considers the grade equivalent of students' marks, rather than the individual marks.

When calculating your grade point average we take the following into account:

  • the grade point average is the average result of all grades achieved by a student during all years of a course of study, including Honours
  • weightings are not applied to a subject based on its level (ie introductory and advanced subjects of the same credit value are considered equal).
  • the grade point average is calculated based on all results available at the time of assessment.

UAC uses a 7-point numeric scale, where 7 represents the highest level of achievement and 0 represents the lowest level of achievement. Using this scale, the following numeric values would be applied to the following common grading systems (examples only):

Grade Numeric value Grade Numeric value Grade Numeric value Grade Numeric value Grade * Numeric value
High Distinction 7 Distinction 6.5 A 6.5 Pass 4 Honours 1 7
Distinction 6 Credit 5 B 5 Fail 0 Honours 2A 6.5
Credit 5 Pass 4 C 4     Honours 2B 6
Pass 4 Fail 0 F 0     Honours 3 4.5
Conceded Pass 3     Ungraded Pass 4     Pass 4
Fail 0                
Withdrawn Fail 0                

* Refers to the University of Melbourne’s standard grading system and should not be taken to mean that an Honours degree will automatically derive the GPA (numeric value) shown next to each level.

The grade point average is the sum of (the credit value for each subject multiplied by the numeric value of the grades) divided by the sum of the credit values for all grades. The grade point average can be expressed mathematically as:

GPA  = ∑  (credit value x grade)
           ∑ credit value

This calculation results in a number (the GPA) between 7 and 0, and is usually taken to two decimal places. Where credit points are not assigned to subjects it is assumed all subjects are of equal value.

In UAC’s methodology, ungraded passes are not included in the calculation of a grade point average except:

  • where these advantage the student (ie when the student has a grade point average of less than 4). In this instance the grade point average is recalculated including the value of the ungraded pass(es)
  • when more than 50% of the grades presented are ungraded passes. In this instance, the grade point average would be calculated with the ungraded pass included in the calculation.

UAC assigns a numeric value of zero to all ‘fail’ grades. Where necessary, an appropriate credit value is also assigned.


Sample transcript
2012 Bachelor of Commerce
Semester One   Grade Units
ACCT1001 Accounting 1A HD 10
ECON1001 Economics 1 C 40
MKTG1001 Introduction to Marketing F 10
Semester Two      
INFS1001 Introduction to Information Systems P 20
STAT1001 Statistics P 20
PRAC1111 Practicum UGP 10

Using the above transcript, the GPA can be calculated as follows:









Numerical value of grade


No. of units or subjects, per grade



Accounting 1A







Economics 1







Introduction to Marketing







Introduction to Information Systems




























Grade point average  =    total of  C
                                         total of  B

=    430

=    4.30

How are grade point averages calculated for overseas qualifications?

Please read the ‘How does UAC calculate grade point averages?’ FAQ above for additional information.

To calculate a GPA on the 7-point numeric scale, a grade average value is first derived on the local scale. When calculating a GPA:

  • any subject loading is factored into the calculation
  • any grade that is considered a fail on the local scale is counted as 0, regardless of home-country practices
  • the GPA is calculated on all grades reported over the entire degree, regardless of home-country practices

Once a grade average has been derived, this is converted to an equivalent value on the UAC's point numeric scale. The conversion is linear and doesn't take individual factors, such as course difficulty or low/high marking systems, into consideration in line with the policies agreed to by participating institutions.

An example of the mapping for a % scale (50% pass) is below.

% scale

7-point scale

80% +






On this basis, a grade average % mark in the range of 70-79% would derive a GPA between 5.0-5.99 on the 7-point numeric scale.  Mapping is adjusted accordingly to match whatever scale is used.

How are combined degrees assessed?

For the purposes of calculating a GPA, a combined degree (eg Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws) will be treated as one qualification. This means that all subjects completed will be used to calculate a single GPA.

Under no circumstances will individual subjects be grouped in a way that facilitates calculation of a separate GPA for each degree. The nature of combined degrees is such that this is not possible.

Where only one of the two degrees has been awarded, all subjects completed at the time of assessment will be included in the calculation. This applies even if you do not intend to complete the second degree.

Will my credit transfer be considered?

Credit transfer subjects are only included in the GPA calculation if:

  • it is clear from the transcript that they have, or will, contribute to the award of the degree
  • results for the studies on which the credits are based are available
  • it is clear which subjects previously studied were used for credit

Unspecified/block credit cannot be considered.

What documents do I need to provide?

When you apply you'll be advised if there are any qualifications that UAC cannot obtain on your behalf. You'll need to supply correctly verified copies of these qualifications to UAC. You can upload these documents during your application or after you've applied using QAS Check & Change.

After you've applied, a document cover sheet will be generated with your Confirmation of Application if there are any documents that you'll need to supply to UAC. Follow the instructions on your document cover sheet if you wish to mail or deliver these documents to UAC.

You must provide your official academic transcripts and your certificate/s of award/s if completed. You must also provide official proof of change of name (eg marriage certificate) for any documents that are in another name.

'Correctly verified' means that your original document has been sighted and the copy has been sworn to be a true copy of the original by one of the following people listed below.

Documents not verified or not verified correctly

UAC is not permitted to process copies of documents:

  • that are just photocopies (ie not verified)
  • that have not been correctly verified
  • that are photocopies of verified copies
  • verified by a Justice of the Peace without a registration number
  • verified by an International Justice of the Peace.

People authorised to verify documents

You can take your original documents in person to UAC or the admissions office of a participating institution. Your original documents will be copied and handed back to you. UAC will keep the copies with your application. The admissions office will give the copies to you to submit with your application to UAC. There may be a charge for copies made at some participating institutions.

You can also have your documents verified by someone from one of the categories listed below. The categories are for verification in Australia, New Zealand or overseas – check carefully which categories apply to you.

The person who verifies your document/s must be contactable by telephone during normal working hours.

You can’t verify your own documents, even if you belong to one of the categories listed below, and your documents can’t be verified by a person directly related to you.

Documents verified in AUSTRALIA

Anyone who is currently employed as:

  • an accountant – a member of either the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, CPA Australia, the National Institute of Accountants or the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or a registered tax agents
  • a bank manager, but not a manager of a bank travel centre
  • a credit union branch manager
  • a commissioner for declarations
  • a barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • a police officer
  • a postal manager
  • a principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
  • a pharmacist
  • a medical practitioner or specialist
  • a registered nurse
  • a defence force officer.

They must include their professional registration number, if available, when verifying your documents.

An authorised officer at:

  • the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC)
  • the admissions office or student services office at any participating institution
  • the administration office at any TAFE college
  • Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC), Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC), South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC), Tertiary Institution Services Centre (TISC) (WA)
  • the official records department of the institution that originally issued the document/s.

A Justice of the Peace with a registration number.

Copies verified by a Justice of the Peace without a registration number will NOT be accepted.

To find a Justice of the Peace in your area, check the public register of JPs available online from the NSW Department of Justice.

Documents verified in NEW ZEALAND

Anyone who is currently employed as:

  • an accountant – a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in New Zealand
  • a bank manager, but not the manager of a bank travel centre
  • a credit union branch manager
  • a barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • a police officer
  • a postal manager
  • a principal of a New Zealand secondary college, high school or primary school.

An authorised officer at:

  • the admissions office or student service office at any New Zealand university or institute of technology
  • the official records department of the institution that originally issued the document/s
  • an Australian overseas diplomatic mission.

Copies verified by a New Zealand Justice of the Peace will NOT be accepted.

Documents verified OVERSEAS (except New Zealand)

An authorised officer at:

  • the official records department of the institution that originally issued the document/s
  • an Australian overseas diplomatic mission.

Copies verified by overseas notaries will NOT be accepted.

Instructions for authorised verifiers

The verifier must:

  • write 'I certify this to be a true copy of the document shown and reported to me as the original'
  • sign
  • print their name, daytime contact number, profession or occupation or organisation, and date verified
  • provide their professional registration number if available (this is mandatory for Justices of the Peace)
  • include the offficial stamp or seal of the verifier's oraganisation on the copy, if the organisation has such a stamp.

In addition, a Justice of the Peace must add:

  • the state in which they are registered as a Justice of the Peace.

Can I upload my documents electronically?

You can upload supporting documents during your application or via QAS Check & Change after you've applied. Uploaded documents must be correctly verified and you can upload up to five supporting documents for each qualification.

To upload supporting documents, click the upload icon next to the relevant qualification. To add or replace an uploaded document, you can use the same file selection process.

Each supporting document must be a PDF smaller than 5 megabytes.

If your document is not a PDF, you'll need to convert it using either:

  • UAC’s document conversion service – attach the document file to an email addressed to conv2pdf@uac.edu.au. For each attached file you’ll receive an email back within a few minutes containing a converted PDF or
  • one of the many document conversion packages available on the web.

Important note for Mac users
If you're using an Apple Mac to upload your supporting documents, don't use OSX’s built-in PDF software. Documents saved using this software and uploaded to UAC won't be viewable.

Can I amend my application after I've applied?

You can't amend your application after you've applied. Uploaded documents can’t be edited or deleted but can be added to. Each qualification can have a maximum of 5 supporting documents uploaded against it.

I have qualifications from overseas. What documents do I need to provide?

You must supply a correctly verified copy of your official transcript of records (read 'What documents do I need to provide? above), as well as an award certificate if the qualification is complete. A Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) may also be presented.

UAC is not authorised to assess Diploma Supplements in lieu of the official transcript of records because Diploma Supplements may only provide passing grades you have achieved and exclude low or failing grades that also need to be taken into account in assessing your application.

If your official documents for your overseas study are not in English, you must also supply verified copies of the following documents:

  • the original language transcript of records showing subjects and results
  • the original language award certificate (if a qualification has been completed)
  • an English translation of these documents (read below for organisations who can translate your documents)
  • a copy of the grading scale if available.

Your documents must be translated by one of the following:

  • Multicultural NSW, Level 8, Stockland House, 175 Castlereagh Street, Sydney 2000, call 1300 651 500 or visit www.multicultural.nsw.gov.au
  • a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). The translator must be accredited as at least a ‘professional translator’. Translated documents must display the official NAATI stamp provided to qualified translators; the stamp shows the level of accreditation and the direction in which they are accredited to translate. A list of NAATI-accredited translators in Australia and some overseas locations is available at www.naati.com.au or call (02) 9267 1357.

Copies translated by any other sources, including overseas notaries, won't be accepted.

Participating undergraduate institutions

Apply direct institutions

In the course search, courses offered by Apply direct institutions have been given the status AD (Apply Direct). This means that the institutions manage their own admissions for these courses. UAC does not process applications for these institutions and you cannot apply through UAC. Applications are made direct. Details on how to apply can be found in each institution’s entry.

Participating postgraduate institutions