Who can apply through UAC Postgraduate?

Postgraduate study leads to an award such as a Postgraduate certificate, Postgraduate diploma, Masters degree or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Graduate entry courses in teaching are also included in postgraduate admission through UAC.

You usually need to complete a relevant undergraduate degree or diploma to be eligible for admission to a postgraduate course. You may also need professional work experience.

There are two main types of postgraduate study: research and coursework.

Research requires you to undertake supervised research leading to a thesis or other piece of written material within a set period of time. Masters degrees and PhDs can be obtained by research and usually require a Bachelor degree at honours level or equivalent for admission.

Coursework is composed of units of study, which usually require you to attend lectures and tutorials. Postgraduate certificates, Postgraduate diplomas and Masters degrees can be completed this way.

Only postgraduate coursework applications are processed through UAC. For research programs you need to contact the relevant institution directly.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible to apply through UAC for courses listed in the course search if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a New Zealand citizen
  • a permanent resident of Australia.

Who CANNOT apply through UAC Postgraduate?

International fee-paying applicants

All international fee-paying applicants must apply directly to the participating institutions, not through UAC.


UAC does not process deferments for postgraduate courses. Contact the relevant institution directly to establish their policy on deferment.

  • Back to top of page